Skimming is the fraudulent collection of information from the magnetic strip on the back of a ATM/DEBIT/CREDIT card. It is usually committed by hiding a skimming device in the card slot of an ATM machine or in the card reader in a shop etc. Usually a tiny camera hidden in a strategic location is used to capture the PIN in the case skimming of an ATM card. Card skimming can also be use in restaurants/hotels/ petrol bunks etc where the customer hands over the credit card. The captured information is used to withdraw money from ATM or online shopping etc.
TIPS to prevent skimming and to use ATM card safely:
- Never insert a card in a ATM machine with blank screen.
- Follow the instruction on the ATM screen carefully
- Change your PIN frequently.
- Beware of strangers offering help.
- Never allow the ATM/DEBIT card to be taken out of your sight while making payment in a Point of Sales terminal.
- Be vigilant and look out for strange devices in ATM room, like any covers over the card slot in the ATM, any overlays on keypads, cameras overlooking the numeric keypad etc.
- Inform the Bank immediately if any such device is seen.
- Make sure that you retrieve your card after completion of the transaction.
- Collect and keep your transaction slips till the entries are reconciled.
- Always check your statements carefully and make sure that all debit entries are genuine.
- Report lost/stolen cards immediately.
- Never keep ATM card and PIN together.
- When using debit cards, in a POS , Do not enter the PIN in full view of any person.
- Safe guard your pin. memorize it.