If your system is being used by multiple users, then there is a huge possibility of data being leaked from your system.They can simply plug in a USB device and copy sensitive data.If you are concerned about data security , you can disable writing to USB drives with a simple registry tweak.
To disable the writing of data to USB drives do the following
- Start>Run>type ‘regedit’ in the text box and press enter.
- Browse to the key ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MECHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/StorageDevicePolicies’ registry key.
- Right click anywhere on the right pane and select the ‘DWORD(32bit)Value’ option.
- Double click the newly created key and type ‘00000001’ in the ‘Value data’ field.
- Restart your system for changes to take effect
USB Locker is a small tool,which disable (when needed) writing to external USB flash drives to prevent unauthorized copying of your files from your computer
Download | Windows XP/Vista/7|Freeware