When you try to open a file that Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Word you may receive the following error message:”The document 'Filename' caused a serious error the last time it was opened. Would you like to continue opening it?”
The file stops responding completely and you have to end-task .Every time that you try to open the file this message will popup.
This issue occurs because the file appears on the list of disabled files for the Microsoft Office program .When Word or Excel opens a file that previously caused the program to crash two or more times, the program adds such files to this disabled Items list.Files in this list produce the above error message every time you try to open them.
To solve this issue, you have to remove the file from the list of disabled files. To do this, follow the steps.
Excel 2003 / Excel 2002 , Word 2003 / Word 2002
- On the Help menu, click About Microsoft Program, and then click Disabled Items.
- Select the file, and then click Enable.
Excel 2007 or Word 2007
- Click the Microsoft Office Button, click Program Name Options, click the Add-Ins tab.
- Click to select Disabled Items in the Manage list, and then click Go.
- Select the file, and then click Enable
However,removing a file from this list doesn’t mean the file will be problem-free.